Friday, June 11, 2010

You say goodbye, and I'll say hello

My departure date has finally arrived! On Sunday morning I fly to Philadelphia for orientation, and from there I fly out of JFK airport on June 16th, onto a 20 hour flight to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. It will definitely be a long couple of days of traveling. Ultimately, I am SO excited to finally become a Peace Corps Volunteer, but the last few weeks leading up to this day have truly been a mix of emotions. Of course I have left all of my packing for the couple of days before I leave and now I am feeling very scatter-brained trying to prepare for two years in Africa! What the heck should i bring?! This week has also been difficult, having so many hard goodbyes to make. I am truly fortunate to have so many great people in my life and I will struggle with being away from all of you. I am so grateful to all of my family and friends for the love and support I have gotten leading up to this trip, and I will be missing each of you everyday. But I know that for every goodbye I have to make before I leave, I will be making that many more hellos over the next couple of days and weeks. I can't wait to get started on my journey and meet the Peace Corps training staff I will be working with, as well as my new host family, who will be kind enough to share their home with me. At this point, I'm very anxious and excited to get started, but I'm also nervous about what I'm about to walk into. I am looking forward to sharing my stories with all of you, and I will try to keep updating the blog regularly. I will be buying a cell phone once I get there so I will be able to make some calls to let you know that I've made it safe and sound. I won't have a computer but will try to get to an internet cafe to check email, etc. as often as I can. If anyone would like to send me any REAL mail, my new address for the next 9 weeks is:
Cameron Bradley, PCT
Peace Corps Training Site
PO Box 9123
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania


Well, I'm gonna get back to packing. I'll try to make a new post after my orientation on Monday and fill you in.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the love and support! You will all be in my heart the whole way!

Tutaonana!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HOPE THIS POST GOES UP CAUSE I TYPED FOR ALMOST A HALF HOUR YESTERDAY TO YOU TO BE THE FIRST RESPONSE - AND IT NEVER CAME UP!!!!!I AM TEARY ALL DAMN DAY OVER YOU LEAVING LITTLE CAMY LAMBY, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOUR MOTHER WILL GET THROUGH THIS BUT, THAT BEING SAID, I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND WISH YOU A SAFE, CREATIVE, EDUCATIONAL, AND LIFE CHANGING JOURNEY. PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH. TOOOOO MUCH LOVE -
    CRAZY AUNTIE MICHELLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cameron! Good luck in Tanzania! I am so excited for you. You are going to have an amazing experience, and if there's anybody that can do this- it's you! I can't wait to hear tales/ see photos of your experiences!
    Love you so much.
    PS- I don't know how I'm going to survive without you.

    ReplyDelete