Monday, June 21, 2010

Last Days before Homestay!

Ok, one more quick post, because I am leaving the Mzimbase Center Wednesday morning and don't know when I'll be back to a computer. Yesterday was our one day off from class and we took a trip into the city to do some shopping. The essentials: I got my first kanga, as well as some toiletries, including toilet paper, which I will need to bring everywhere with me. The city of Dar es Salaam was SO intimidating. We split into groups of 5 and luckily one of the training staff, Vivian helped us shop and bargain. I've never felt so on display or out of place. Although we were getting stares, people were very friendly. Before leaving the grounds, we were told not be carrying any bags. Anything I was carrying on me was either in my bra or down my pants. I would basically be a walking target as a white girl with a bag of any kind. Apparently, pick-pocketers are pretty good around here, but luckily no major issues. Vivian led us through this huge outside market with tons of vendors and piles of clothes and mountains of shoes just laid on a tarp on the street where people were selling things. This place used to be the capital city before Dodoma, and it was most definitely the ultimate instance of poverty that I have seen yet. It was pretty dirty and everyone is trying to sell you something. I can't imagine going through on my own, but some of the current PCV's were leading a couple of the groups! I got my kanga and then took it to a seamster. The kanga has to be cut into two pieces and hemmed before it is worn. Each kanga has a proverb written on it, so it was good that Vivian was there to translate for me because some proverbs are not very respectful. The one I got basically says that you have to work hard in life and that if you depend on others you will die poor. After we were done shopping, we took a "daladala" back to the center. Daladalas are the main mode of transportation around the city, and they are basically small beat down buses that are way overcrowded and drive way fast. It was fun though. It will definitely be something I'll have to get used to. After shopping, we went across the street to a local bar for a bit. It was nice to sit and get to know everyone a lot better. Everywhere we go we're watching the world cup. All the other volunteers are really nice. But soon we will be split into groups to go to our varying host villages.

I will be living in Kilulu. I was talking to a current PCV, who was assigned there for his homestay and he got me really excited about going. Although its a bit more secluded than the other villages, he said its at the top of a mountain and it was one of his favorite times during Peace Corps thus far. Apparently the landscape is going to be beautiful. I'll be sure to take pictures and try to put them up. Also, there is tons of fresh fruit!! I'm so excited for fresh juicy delicious fruit! I've been deprived. I feel like everything we eat is fried, or beans and rice. However, one good thing about Tanzania is that we must have tea time everyday. Everyday during classes, we break at 10:30 for "chai" or....teatime!

Oh ya, today I got the second Hep A shot as well as a rabies shot :) Still got a few more coming I think.

Right now, I'm a little worried about the first couple weeks of homestay, which will be awkward as my new family won't be speaking English and I know minimal Swahili at this point. But I hope they will be patient with me. I can't wait to have a Mama and a family to distract me from that fact that I'm so far away from my own.

I'm hoping that soon after getting settled at home I'll get to go into the town of Muheza, near the village, and get a phone, and make another post. Until then, I hope you're all doing well!

4 comments:

  1. So excited I found your blog. So looking forward to knowing all you are up to. You're amazing Cam and I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're diving right in. Now we have to look up Kilulu and Muheza so we know where you are. Glad you had someone there to translate the kanga for you. Would hate for you to be wearing something displaying bad taste :) Love you so much. Keep us up to date as you're able. Much love from everyone here! xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. cameron, i get so excited to read you blog, it sounds like you are having an amazing time!! i cant wait to read more about where you are and the adventures that you are discovering!! hope your having fun, we miss you here!!

    Jeff Rigg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cameron, what an amazing adventure you are having. You are such a beautiful, brave and caring woman. There are no words to express how I feel when I read your words. Love you.......Andi

    ReplyDelete